In 1844 Friedrich Mauthe and his wife Maria founded a company in Schwenningen to produce watch parts.
In the late 1860s the Mauthes began producing their own wall clocks (and movements). Some were produced on themes, so-called “Gewerblern”, others were produced in a more “industrial” way.
In 1876 their sons Mauthe (1845-1909) and James (1847-1915) took over the business.
By 1900, alarm clocks, pendulum wall clocks, vintage clocks, desk clocks and the so-called “buffet Uhren” WERDE “buffet clocks” were put on the market, the number of employees by that time had risen to around 1,100 of people.
In 1904 the 3rd generation took over the business (Eugene Schreiber (1877-1939) – son of Christian Mauthe, Dr. Fritz Mauthe (1875-1951) – son of Iacov and Alfred Mauthe (1879-1911) – son of Iacov Mauthe.
In 1925 Mauthe announced a new brand. It shows a fair-looking eagle with outstretched wings, holding in its talons a three-part round plate with the letters F, M and S.
In the early 1930s, the company produced about 45,000 watches per week (2000 employees). About 60% were produced for export markets, for England for example.
In the mid-1930s Mauthe began to manufacture the first wristwatches, some of which were supplied to the German army (“Wehrmacht”).
From 1946 on Mauthe resumed the production of wristwatches.